ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] ICANNtriva on pre-registration

  • To: vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] ICANNtriva on pre-registration
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:10:49 +0000

Sorry, I am catching up after forced absence from my email.

A couple of comments on this one.

First, I agree with Vittorio, a meeting of an American corporation in an Arab country is not exactly the place where I would allow people in without proper procedures. Quite the contrary, I am amazed by the average sloppyness in the checking in the average ICANN meeting, given the circumstances. I am now in Vienna, looking at the security in place in occasion of President Bush's visit (incidentally, who will pay for the security, the loss of business of the commerce in the forbidden zone, etc.?), and see things that Vienna has never seen before since the ending of the military occupation after WWII.

Besides, I find it pretty common to be asked an ID going to certain places. I remember years ago when I went to the US Senate I had to leave the passport at the entrance to get it back when going out. And I don't remember anybody complaining about the loss of privacy.
Personally, I am very very much more concerned about the people who would like to participate and cannot because of different reasons, mostly economical I would guess, rather than somebody who wants to enter an ICANN meeting without an ID.

Last but not least, I believe that the security measures are defined in collaboration with the hosting organization, and therefore will follow the local practices and regulations. Although ICANN has a say, the matter is agreed in the preparatory meetings. Just for the sake of curiosity, we could ask Giovanni Seppia, who was in the organizing committee for the Rome meeting.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison