ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development

  • To: Hong Xue <hongxueipr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:01:36 -0400 (EDT)

"Determining that a proposed new IDN label is adequately differentiated from a pre-existing label requires comparison in graphic, phonetic, and semantic terms."

We don't know what was in the mind of those drafters when "Semantic terms"
were used. It'd be very unpredictable if it means
translations/transliterations of the pre-existing labels.

In view of the proposed DNAME experiment, I think we can assume that the intention is to reserve every name that means something like commercial, organization, network, business, information, travel, and the names of every other TLD. It's not clear to me whether this would mean that VRSN would get every translation of .COM as a synonym for .COM, as separate TLDs, as reserved names not available, or what.

Personally, I think this is a rathole, other than perhaps forbidding TLDs with names that are visually identical to other TLDs.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor