ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development

  • To: "John L" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:48:09 +0330 (IRST)

My impression from Marrakech IDN workshops was that the DNAMES testing was
going to be postponed. I personally hope it will be abandoned altogether
as I don't see any point to it other than expanding Verisign-Afilias
dominance of the market. John's point about banning visually identical
TLDs is well-taken; this will combat phishing.
Siavash

>> "Determining that a proposed new IDN label is adequately differentiated
>> from a pre-existing label requires comparison in graphic, phonetic, and
>> semantic terms."
>
>> We don't know what was in the mind of those drafters when "Semantic
>> terms"
>> were used. It'd be very unpredictable if it means
>> translations/transliterations of the pre-existing labels.
>
> In view of the proposed DNAME experiment, I think we can assume that the
> intention is to reserve every name that means something like commercial,
> organization, network, business, information, travel, and the names of
> every other TLD.  It's not clear to me whether this would mean that VRSN
> would get every translation of .COM as a synonym for .COM, as separate
> TLDs, as reserved names not available, or what.
>
> Personally, I think this is a rathole, other than perhaps forbidding TLDs
> with names that are visually identical to other TLDs.
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
> Dummies",
> Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor
> "I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-5564, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80; 82 80 81, ext 113
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx