ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development

  • To: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:22:31 -0400 (EDT)

My impression from Marrakech IDN workshops was that the DNAMES testing was
going to be postponed. I personally hope it will be abandoned altogether
as I don't see any point to it other than expanding Verisign-Afilias
dominance of the market.

My friend Paul Hoffman talked to Tina at some length about the test, and got the impression that someone told her to do it, she knows she doesn't have the technical expertise to run it, and nothing's likely to happen any time soon.

I agree that there is likely to be a land grab by VRSN and the other GTLD registries, but it was my impression that some of the ccTLDs want an equivalent of their ccTLD in their own language and character set.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor