ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development

  • To: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:49:00 +0200

John L ha scritto:
I agree that there is likely to be a land grab by VRSN and the other GTLD registries, but it was my impression that some of the ccTLDs want an equivalent of their ccTLD in their own language and character set.

I think that all these requests should be evaluated case by case. While I see the reason for having a Chinese script equivalent of .cn in the root (as soon as ccTLDs start selling domains in their own script, they will need a final string in their script too), and I see the reason for forbidding graphical equivalents to existing TLDs (but there's no need to reserve them in advance: whenever a new gTLD application is submitted, it will be evaluated whether the proposed strings could be confused with any existing ones), I don't see the reason for awarding Verisign with all words meaning "company" or "commercial" in all languages and scripts...

In any case, differently from second level registration, first level registration (of new gTLDs) is never going to be an automated process, so problems of confusion could be evaluated each time according to an established policy, rather than addressed in advance by reserving strings.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...