ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] RE: DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider

  • To: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Delbianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] RE: DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider
  • From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 17:36:36 +0000

As the author of the draft statement that has now received some objections, let
me say that I appreciate and respect the viewpoints and concerns  that have
been expressed by BC members, and also very much appreciate the offer by
Mahmoud to participate in a call with BC members. I viewed my role as deviating
as little as possible from the BC's prior position in preparing a draft, which
would then be subject to comment from BC members. Indeed it has, and it's clear
that a somewhat different approach may be the preference of BC members.

It seems to me that there are two separate issues before us:

1.       The application of ACDR to provide UDRP arbitration services.

2.       The need for some enforceable mechanism by which ICANN assures - as we
witness inevitable applications from additional organizations to provide UDRP
arbitration services, in an altered gTLD universe of more than 1,000 new
extensions as well as IDNs - that the UDRP is administered in a UNIFORM manner
by all providers and that we do not witness divergent approaches to UDRP
jurisprudence from different providers in different regions. This is important
not just for registrants but for trademark holders who want assurance that
their IP rights will receive equivalent treatment by all providers.

While the ACDR is seeking accreditation in part due to the advent of Arabic
gTLDs they will in no way be limited to adjudicating cases involving IDNs -
indeed, their projection of 600 cases annually during their start-up period
would indicate that they could well decide more than one-tenth of all UDRP
cases at current filing levels.

Setting aside my rapporteur hat, issues that the entities I represent on the BC
would seek to have addressed as we engage in dialogue with ACDR would include
the means by which the 15 listed panelists who have no prior UDRP adjudication
will receive training in contemporary UDRP practice (focused on the WIPO 2.0
guidelines, which are the only authoritative source of case precedents that I
am aware of), and how ACDR will assure that cases are randomly assigned amongst
all its panelists (to avoid a situation like the NAF's continued assignment of
about half its caseload to just five percent of its listed panelists). I look
forward to that discussion and expect it to be quite constructive.

Finally, I greatly  appreciate Marilyn's suggestion that the BC advocate "that
ICANN establish a process, involving all existing providers, and
representatives from users of the UDRPs, drawn from the Constituencies and ALAC
and other relevant parties, to undertake development of a uniform set of
standards for approval of UDRP providers.  This should include a public comment
process."

-- as well as her suggestion for this language -

The BC proposes that the Board direct staff to undertake a process, supported
by the community of stakeholders and all UDRP providers, to establish uniform
rules and procedures and flexible means to delineating and enforcing
arbitration provider responsibilities.

An approach like that would decouple and continue to pursue the need for ICANN
to adopt a mechanism to assure uniform UDRP administration from the immediate
question of the ACDR application to provide UDRP services.

Best regards to all,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC