ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

New CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: New CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter
  • From: Michelle Knight <michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:01:39 +0000

Dear Sir/Madam,

I offer my comments for consideration to the public consultation on the matter
of the cyber safety constituency petition and charter.

First point…

It is my strong opinion that such a new constituency should not be created
with the aim of governing Internet safety.  To do so is to allow censorship of
one community by another.

While it is in the interests of various groups who are opposed to the likes of
pornography to obtain censorship of such material as they object to, I have to
bring it to your attention that moves in this arena are made by those groups
against the users of pornographic services.  In short, these groups are
irresponsible in their attitude of wanting to censor those segments of society
that they do not like, or have objection to.

When, do I ask, has anyone had recollection of anyone from the various
societies involved in the sexual arena, picketing for the closure of the
various religious societies?

Thus, with this in mind, I beg for the reader to consider which side of this
discussion is really acting in the best interest of a wide and harmonious
international society.

Second point…

The safety of children is the responsibility of the parents. It is the choice
of the parents as to which path in life their child shall choose; who their
child plays with; which school their child attends.  I put it to the reader to
consider any parent who wishes to off load their responsibilities for a childs
behaviour while using any service, be it library, television or any other
informational service, to an outside organisation.   I consider this to be the
act of a parent who will happily choose to make the Internet itself suffer
rather than actively fulfill their duties as a parent and properly supervise
the child, or take the responsibility and shoulder the burden of cost, in
installing a filtering system in their home.

The complainants have all forms of television channels flying around their
homes, through the skies, and they choose to not watch those channels and
activate the content controlls on their devices.

Third point…

Any censorship is a matter of degree. If such a course is opened to one
quarter, then pressure will rapidly come from another quarter who wish to
censor things that they do not like. Should this follow through then it is
possible that people from one religion would want to block things of another
religion from the Internet.

Fourth point…

The Internet is a carrier service.  The telephone service is also a carrier.
In an individuals home it is the responsibility of the owner of the telephone
as to whos number they dial; there has been, as of yet, no similar argument
against companies who operate various telephone services of an adult nature,
but this argument has not been levelled against these services as access is
the resposibility of the householder.

The Internet is the same; it is the responsibility of the householder as to
which services are accessed and the Internet needs to remain as a neutral
body. I believe it is the hope that these pressure groups continue to put such
pressure on the Internet where they know they would fail with the
telecommunications service. It is not the job of ICANN to monitor or police
content; that is the remit of the police and the laws of individual countries
and treaties.

Fifth point…

It is testament to the very existance, size and voraciousness of the various
sex communities that they exist and the number of services available are
numerous and flourish. This is the proof of a large and vibrant community.  It
is not said that prostitution is the oldest career in the world, for no good
reason.  This community exists through natural forces and the various
religions are completely unable to prove otherwise. What right does ICANN have
to attempt to silence such a community for the benefit of who are, in reality,
a very much smaller number of people on the basis of attempting to pass their
responsibilities as parents to outside agencies. What right does ICANN have to
censor what is a large and natural part of humanities behaviour patterns? That
those patterns are not liked by other groups is not a concern, just as the
patterns and beliefs of various religious organisations are not my concern.

Sixth point…

The energies of these people would be better spent on designing and
maintaining a home or community based blocking service along the lines of the
current commercial offerings that protect businesses world wide. That is a much
fairer solution on all.  However, to bring back point 1; the people who are
pushing for this cybersafety constituency are doing so for the gain of their
own community and do not care about the cost or impact on any other community
which is opposed to their stance. Do you believe that this is fair of them?

Has ICANN not considered that the beliefs and rites of others are not found
offensive to others who are on the other side of this debate? Should ICANN wish
to provide an even hand in this matter, then it would have to silence both
sides of this situation. Clearly an absurd position.

For ICANN to allow this cybersatefy constituency opens the door to chaos and
flies in the face of common sense.

May I remind you of a quote from none other than Adolf Hitler - "The state
must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long
as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the
people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any
deprivation." - and I ask you again to consider who is the real vilain in this
piece.

For ICANN to even attempt to think about blocking a large portion of the
Internet users at the behest of a minority group who wish to form and steer a
constituency is, in my opinion, a considerable mistake that will likely spell
the end of ICANN as it exists. If such a constituency was allowed to be
created and have a directional voice, I believe that the matter would not rest
there.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Michelle Knight.