ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI
  • From: James M Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:11:35 +0100

This is not a "don't go down too deep issue", it really is out of scope.

The distinction that I think is important is that we are chartered to consider DNS security and stability issues, not issues for which the DNS can be used for nefarious or malicious purposes. The fact that one can do bad things with the DNS does not make the DNS bad. Even DNSSEC does not help the problem being described because it's not a DNS problem.

It might be worth a short discussion of this distinction in our final report.

Jim

-- On September 13, 2011 3:31:31 PM -0500 Mike O'Connor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding Re: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI --

yep,  i get that.

i think one thing we might want to consider is building out a list of
attack vectors that infrastructure-providers might want to apply
best-practices to.  this fits with Cheryl's "not following
best-practices" bucket that we created in the Vulnerabilities draft a
few calls back.  it also kinda takes me back to the best-practices
discussion we had on the RAP working group and the notion that ICANN
might be a good place to call attention to these sorts of things, and
keep track of good resources/standards/models etc.

but i agree -- we don't want to go too deep down these issues or
we'll never finish.

mikey