ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI

  • To: Patrik Fältström <paf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI
  • From: Jörg Schweiger <schweiger@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:43:12 +0200

All,
I'd opt for not including  both typosquatting and confusability (as
described in the Ars Tecnica article).  As it seems to be consensus to
omit the first, I think even the latter would lead us to a very broad
definition of the terms stability, security and resiliency (I very well
realize that this "interpretation" would be in line with the respective
definition of the SSAC of those terms, but will challenge them for this WG
as well.)
Confusability is not  targeted at "the DNS per se", and therefore should
be considered out of scope. I'd agree to Patrick vdW to mention those
kinds of vulnerabilities in our final report.

regards -J

owner-dssa@xxxxxxxxx schrieb am 14.09.2011 09:50:09:

> Von: Patrik Fältström <paf@xxxxxxxxx>
> An: <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Kopie: <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
> Datum: 14.09.2011 09:51
> Betreff: Re: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us,
but FYI
> Gesendet von: owner-dssa@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Just explain what is not included (typosquatting) and what is
(confusability) [and what the difference is].

> I.e. I think DSSA must explain why ICANN is evaluating confusability
issues, and what that have to do with stability and security.

>    Patrik
>
> On 14 sep 2011, at 08:44, Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
>
> I tend to agree with Jim.
> Clearly, the sort of typosquatting mentioned in the Ars Tecnica is not
something the ICANN community can do something about.
> We may want to mention in the final report a non-exhaustive list of what
behaviours we considered being out of scope. At least,