ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

RE: [dssa] hm. does anybody have an authoritative source for the definition of "core registry functions"?

  • To: Greg Aaron <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dssa] hm. does anybody have an authoritative source for the definition of "core registry functions"?
  • From: Jörg Schweiger <schweiger@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:23:30 +0100

All,

owner-dssa@xxxxxxxxx schrieb am 15.01.2012 23:23:15:

> Von: Greg Aaron <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, dssa@xxxxxxxxx
> Datum: 15.01.2012 23:41
> Betreff: RE: [dssa] hm. does anybody have an authoritative source for
the definition of "core registry functions"?
> Gesendet von: owner-dssa@xxxxxxxxx
>

> Dear Mikey and friends:
>
> Regarding new TLDs, see also the ICANN registry agreement paragraph
2.13,
> referring to Specification 10 section 6.  The latter lists:
> * DNS
> * "DNSSEC proper resolution" (which I'd say is a subset of DNS service.
> As I noted before, the reality is many ccTLDs don't offer DNSSEC, and
few
> gTLDs offer signing of individual domains right now.)
> * EPP (But that's a specific protocol, and not in use in many ccTLDs;
the
> real function, more generally stated, is provisioning the registry with
> data)
> * WHOIS (a.k.a. dissemination of contact and other data), and
> * data escrow (however, many ccTLDs don't escrow).
>
> So I keep going back to this definition, which applies to all current
and
> future gTLDs, and maybe we can agree it's a good list for ccTLDs too:
>
> "the receipt of data from registrars concerning registrations of domain
> names and name servers; provision to registrars of status information
> relating to the zone servers for  the TLD; dissemination of TLD zone
> files; operation of the registry zone servers; and dissemination of
> contact and other information  concerning domain name server
registrations
> in the TLD as required by the Registry Agreement".

I like this definition a lot better. Below a slightly modified one I'd
prefer:

"the receipt of data from registrars/registrants concerning registrations
of domain
> names and name servers; provision to registrars of status information
> relating to the zone servers for  the TLD; dissemination of TLD zone
> files; operation of the registry zone servers; and dissemination of
> contact and other information  concerning domain name server
registrations
> in the TLD"

This would leave it open whether or not we are dealing with a 3 tiered
(registrar/registry/registrant)model or not.
As some Registries do not have a formal agreement, I omitted the related
part.

regards Joerg

> All best,
> --Greg

TLD
> servers.  Zone file access is making the zone file available for
download
> by anyone who wants it.  See the gTLD contracts and Zone File Access
> Agreements for details.   Most ccTLDs don't offer zone file access.
>
> "Bulk Registration Data Access" is an ICANN nTLD contract term.  It is
> something different from regular-old WHOIS, and it's actually different
> from escrow.  Most existing gTLDs and most ccTLDs don't offer bulk
WHOIS.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/facets_of_gtld_registry_technical_operations