ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Summary of where we are

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Summary of where we are
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:59:00 +0100

Hi

I wouldn't think this would happen, I'd expect people to behave collegially and
understand the issue. Moreover, one would think that the obvious
dysfunctionality of such an outcome would encourage compromise.  But I thought
maybe I should spell it out since someone might have that question upon reading.

I think we have to bear in mind we're not nominating people to receipt pots of
gold, and that the Selectors will make the final decisions anyway.  But in the
first instance SGs should be able to put forward a candidate without having to
worry about it becoming politicized.

On Feb 8, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Great feedback from a lot of the team.  That should really help us in our
> call today.
>
> Bill - I have some questions regarding this: "If the diversity goals of 2 and
> 3 above are not achieved in the initial round, the Evaluation Team
> constituted in 6d above will consult with the SGs and NCAs to review the
> candidate pool, and then present to the Council an alternative mix that would
> meet the goals.  The Council would vote on the new list, with a simple
> majority of both houses required for acceptance.  If the vote fails, the
> cycle will repeat until there is a successful outcome."  Will there be enough
> time to do multiple rounds?  Could we end up with no endorsements?
>
> Chuck

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance