ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department part 2

• To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department part 2
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:33:49 +0100

Philip,

It is always possible to abstract two categories to the point where they appear to belong to the same category. Easy to do with apples and pears, and even possible with apples and rocks.

The fundamental interests differ and hence the motivations for policy differ.

The starting point for the registrants and contracted parties involves the rules and policy as they are demonstrated in contracts, agreements, prices and rules.

The starting point for the users are the effects on the network, how easy is it to use the network and can the network serve their various interests. Users only care about contracts and agreements when someone forces them to be concerned.

Sure, most all of the registrants and contracted parties are users, though i bet some aren't. And sure some small percentage of users are registrants and also care about contract and agreement minutia.

In general terms, I think the policy concerns of the Registrants and contracted parties grow from the specific (e.g. the contractual conditions and their effects) to the general, while I would argue that the policy interests of the users grow from the general/global (e.g. users should be able to work in the language of their choice) to the specific - but only when necessary.

So, you can abstract it to the point where - yes they care about the same thing: a stable and secure Internet - but the specific paths they follow to get to the conclusions are fundamentally diferent. It may sometimes be hard to see because you are both a registrant representative and a user.

a.

On 7 Jul 2008, at 11:05, Philip Sheppard wrote:

Avri,
you are using the terminology user and registrant but do not explain the generalised
difference wrt GNSO policy.
A registrant has a contract with a registrar and a user a contract with an ISP. But so what? All registrants are users though not all users registrants. But so what?
Some registrant objectives will differ from other registrants.
Some user objectives will differ from other users.
But I do not see a "generalised" difference in principle?

As a god faith registrant I want the Internet to be a safe place to do business and
communicate.
As a good faith user I want the Internet to be a safe place to take advantage of business
offers and communicate.

Where lies the real difference wrt GNSO consensus policy?

Philip

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy