ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept

• To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:15:42 -0400

Hi,

I have a few comment on this interesting proposal.

First I would like to note that it goes in the opposite direction of two trends:

- Seems more legislative then managerial
- Seems less oriented toward consensus (however we define that word in ICANN)

I am concerned that we would often find ourselves in committee. That is, what is to say that the version of motions/policy that the two houses agreed to would remain in synch. We have often seen how important changes get made to most every motion at some point before the vote. This proposal would necessitate a whole process of joint- meeting to resolve these conflicts in language. I am not sure who would chair such meetings and the joint committees would be organized. This joint meeting would need to find language that could then go back to the individual houses for a revote. Unless of course both houses participate in the joint committee, in which case aren't we right back to where we are now?

a.

On 17 Jul 2008, at 00:38, Nevett, Jonathon wrote:

If folks are interested in a more pronounced restructuring of the GNSO Council, we might want to consider the following proposal on our upcoming call. Thanks. Jon

New Compromise Position for a bicameral GNSO

GNSO Council comprised of two houses with the following characteristics:

The Contracted Party Council
Ø Comprised of an equal number of registrars and registries and one Nominating Committee appointee
Ø      Elects its own Chair
Ø      Elects Board Seat 13 at the end of the current term

The User Council
Ø Comprised of an equal number of business users and non- commercial users and a Nominating Committee appointee (or some other odd-numbered composition agreed to by the user groups)
Ø      Elects its own Chair
Ø      Elects Board Seat 14 at the end of the current term

PDP Process
Ø In order to create an issues report, it would take a majority vote of either house Ø In order to initiate a PDP and create working groups, it would take a majority vote of both houses Ø In order to send a policy recommendation to the Board without a supermajority, it would take a majority vote of both houses Ø In order to send a supermajority policy recommendation to the Board, it would take a 2/3rd majority of both houses

ICANN Meetings/Communications
Ø      Both houses meet jointly for a public forum at ICANN meetings
Ø Both houses (or subcommittees of each when appropriate) meet jointly to discuss policy issues
Ø      Each house has a formal meeting separate from the other
Ø      A joint listserv is maintained for cross communications

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy