ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:15:42 -0400

Hi,

I have a few comment on this interesting proposal.

First I would like to note that it goes in the opposite direction of two trends:

- Seems more legislative then managerial
- Seems less oriented toward consensus (however we define that word in ICANN)

I am concerned that we would often find ourselves in committee. That is, what is to say that the version of motions/policy that the two houses agreed to would remain in synch. We have often seen how important changes get made to most every motion at some point before the vote. This proposal would necessitate a whole process of joint- meeting to resolve these conflicts in language. I am not sure who would chair such meetings and the joint committees would be organized. This joint meeting would need to find language that could then go back to the individual houses for a revote. Unless of course both houses participate in the joint committee, in which case aren't we right back to where we are now?

a.