ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking
  • From: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:04:32 -0400

I view this as either controversial or meaningless. There are no
objective criteria for "representativeness" and "breadth" when it comes
to vast, global categories of users such as "commercial" or
"noncommercial."  I challenge you to name one that isn't either
something that all constituencies fail (e.g., one member from every
country with Internet access) or so poorly defined that anyone could
claim to meet it.

Lacking truly objective criteria, the standards will simply become
methods of harassing or attempting to de-legitimize constituencies or
decisions. I can support objective criteria for qualifying as a
stakeholder group (e.g., nondiscriminatory application of membership
criteria, rules designed to prevent capture and preserve openness), but
its absurd for any constituency or group to stand in judgment of the
degree to which another SG is "representative" and "broad" enough.

From: owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Metalitz, Steven

Another point that should be retained from previous proposals is that
all stakeholder groups must meet objective criteria for
representativeness and breadth.  As I recall this was non-controversial,
but I am sure I will be corrected if my recollection is wrong!