ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] 1st draft - Advice Letter Submission Supplement

  • To: <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] 1st draft - Advice Letter Submission Supplement
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:54:40 -0700

Hi all.

I made the requested edits within this next version.  However, I included
different versions of the timeline.  It seems to me we may not have clearly
defined what “Affirmation Review of new gTLD program” means within the
timeline graphic.

If the starting point for the AoC review team is not to begin until one year
after delegation to see how new TLDs operate before defining the metrics,
then we must be cognizant of the time required for requirements definition
of the final metrics framework in addition to the review team conducting the
actual review to “examine the extent to which the introduction or expansion
of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust and consumer choice” for
the gTLD Program.

The idea by aligning the beginning of the AoC Review Team task with the
first gTLD delegation on the timeline is so that the future team may convene
as early as possible to begin developing the formal requirements of the
metrics required for the examination.  I guess my point here is that given
the complexity and size of what metrics are proposed within the current
draft letter will take the future review team a year or so to agree on the
metrics and finalize the requirements.  After which, ICANN will need the
appropriate time to implement and deliver and support the final product.

Within the v0.2 document attached, you will see the original graphic we used
in Prague first.  Next you will find the one I used in the first version of
this supplement.  The third one is derived from the Prague original only
with the timeline adjustment of gTLD delegations (now 3Q2013) based on the
recent announcement while preserving the same dependencies of the original.
The last graphic is a version that includes requirements definition as
separated from the examination of the gTLD expansion.”

I would like to remind the team that the Gradient blue line on the row where
“ICANN begins recording metrics” is designated only for collecting those
baseline metrics where possible for the existing gTLDs and as systems are
implemented for the new gTLD program.  It does not represent ICANN’s
capability to deliver on all proposed metrics with a simple delineation of
existing gTLDs vs. new gTLDs.  The solid blue area denotes the
implementation of the final AoC metrics framework.  A thorough analysis will
be required to understand what baseline metrics are achievable based on
current state capability, budgeting, and new systems deployment in support
of the new gTLD program.  And to reiterate, ICANN cannot deliver on a final
package until all metrics have been agreed upon by the future review team.

I look forward to your input and welcome enhancements.  Thank you.  B

Berry Cobb

720.839.5735

 <mailto:mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

@berrycobb