ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

Re: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] statement on data protection

  • To: "Balleste, Roy" <rballeste@xxxxxxx>, "gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] statement on data protection
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:34:16 -0400

Some quick answers in line that may help inform the discussion as we move
along.

On 3/27/13 2:46 PM, "Balleste, Roy" <rballeste@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Don,
>
>Thank you.  I appreciate your views and wanted to share how I perceived
>the discussions going so far, and also my observations and concerns.  If
>we are going to have a good and fruitful discussion, it is important that
>we share completely our views.  If I am wrong, then I want to be
>educated.   I suppose that I could say more, but I will only clarify here
>a few items.
>
>1. By "inapplicable," I mean, innaplicable to our discussion.

Again, in what way? Out of scope or does it also include a situation in
which we decide that concerns are legitimate but that we are not in a
position to provide conclusive answers?

>2. Regarding the report? Could it include a section on the minority view?
>(If there is no concensus?)

I believe that precedent exists for minority views.

>3. The observation about the cross-border issue is a reminder that we
>will not get an answer on that issue without the appropite expert in that
>field.

Who will define "appropriate?"

>4. The letter from Mr. Fadi can be interpreted in more than one way.  It
>is unclear if the Article 29 WP will work via the GAC.  Would they choose
>that route?

I think that Fadi's suggest was clear. The GAC is the established
mechanism for presenting government views. Can the WP 29 WP really refuse
that route and maintain broad credibility if the EC has a place at the
table?

>5. I distinctively remember the discussion about the Whois data being
>about its vulnerability.  If 'thin' has a problem, it would be great to
>have examples.  I did not say that the discussion was about VeriSign.

I also remember a discussion of vulnerability but also remember a request
for concrete examples. I don't have them. Do you?

>But if a comment is about "thin" Whois, then, VeriSign is in the equation.

Not true since I believe that we agreed that our approach is that we are
addressing what exists now but also what might be required in additional
new gTLD rounds.

>I look forward to the discussion in the best interest of all stakeholders.

Same here.

Don