ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Attached! Preliminary tf Report Purpose Whois and Whois con...

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Attached! Preliminary tf Report Purpose Whois and Whois con...
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:17:22 -0500

Marilyn Cade wrote:

At present, the Council has not established guidelines for making subjective
decisions about what to summarize, or what to omit from summarization. The
operating assumption today is that all contributions should be summarized.

To be clear, this is an assumption that I do not share. To the extent that the report fairly represents the sum total of the facts presented by the general public and the constituencies, there is no reason to summarize each and every comment. We all understand that there are some stakeholders that like certain aspects of the various proposals and others that dislike various aspects of certain proposals.

The public comment period is not a voting mechanism. We are not attempting to democratically elect one proposition over another.

The sole purpose of the constituency and public comment processes are to ensure that the totality of views is brought forth in order that the Task Force can make recommendations based on those views and to ensure that the Council and Board can make informed decisions.

Hearing from 150 independent software developers that they "like" the Verisign settlement is useless. Hearing from 150 IP interests that they "like" formulation #2 is equally useless. Hearing from one of them *why* they like the proposal or how it could be improved, or why alternatives are preferable is worth its weight in gold. I exaggerate to make a point, but the point remains - those comments that do not add to the substance of the policy making process are a waste of everyone's time. I see no reason why duplicative submissions need to be summarized one by one in order for the Task Force reports to maintain their credibility.

We ask that the policy staff undertake the completion of the summary of the
rest of the public comments, and provide a time line for when the work can
be completed.

I don't see a need for this and don't support this request. Perhaps if the ISP/IPC/BC community have a need for this, they could undertake their own summary rather than further delaying important progress in this matter. In the meantime, we already have the public comment archive and a well-founded, fact-based summary of views in our existing report. As I've requested in another message, if the document doesn't include a comprehensive summary of the sum of the views presented, then we should provide our support staff with specifics so that we can move ahead as quickly as possible. Barring any objections pertaining to those specifics, we should move forward as quickly as possible.

-ross