ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Presentation by Dave Piscatello: Information Gathering Using Domain Name Registration Records

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Presentation by Dave Piscatello: Information Gathering Using Domain Name Registration Records
  • From: "Maria Farrell" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:43:51 +0100

Dear all,

FYI I am re-sending Dave Piscatello's slides on his research on Whois
records ahead of his presentation on today's Whois task force call. Dave
will be joining the task force to walk us through the presentation and
answer questions.

As several task force members will not be able to be on today's call, Glen
has arranged a transcription service so that everyone can read through the
presentation in their own time. Also, Dave has kindly offered to answer
email questions either individually or to the task force mailing list.

Finally, a brief introduction to Dave's presentation and findings is
included below.

All the best, Maria

Information Gathering Using Domain Name Registration Records
http://hhi.corecom.com/arc20061001.htm#BlogID559

On behalf of ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee, II recently
completed a study of approximately 5000 domain name registration records,
randomly selected from several million from com, net, and org. The purpose
of my study was to approximate the extent to which personal contact
information can be extracted from domain name registration information. For
this study, I defined personal contact information as "sufficient
attributes" to feel confident that the registrant is an individual, or an
individual operating a home business. I also wanted to determine if it would
be possible, using the information collected, to speak with or visit the
individual at his or her residence, e.g., make personal contact.

I applied the same kinds of information gathering techniques one might
expect an attacker to use when he attempts to identify a target for an
attack. Similar techniques might be used by a private investigator or law
enforcement agent. I used a variety of databases and search tools to learn
more about the registrant from the information collected by registrars and
made available via a Whois query or in bulk::

*       A real estate database (trulia.com)
*       An Internet telephone directory (whitepages.com offers reverse
number lookup)
*       Search engines (Google, Yahoo!)
*       Aerial photographs of the registrant's address (GoogleEarth)
*       E-maps (Map Quest)
*       Companies and Industries directory (hoovers.com)
*       Web sites hosted at registered domain name
*       and my personal familiarity with geographic region I chose
(Philadelphia, PA).

I classified registrants based on a set of matching criteria, with the
underlying assumption that the more criteria (out of a possible 10) that are
matched, the higher my confidence would be that the registrant information
identifies an individual (or business).

The findings
<http://www.icann.org/committees/security/information-gathering-28Sep2006.pd
f>  from my study are now available in presentation format at the ICANN SSAC
web pages.