ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised special circumstances proposal

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised special circumstances proposal
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 09:33:12 -0500

Metalitz, Steven wrote:
As indicated earlier this week, I have prepared a revised version of the
special circumstances proposal.  Most of the changes are organizational
rather than substantive.  I have re-organized the document so that the
proposal comes first, and the discussion of .NL afterwards, and also
re-organized the 9 points of the earlier draft into 12. In addition:

Steve -

This proposal just keeps getting worse.

It is clear that your objective is to keep the maximum amount of data in
the Whois and to eliminate whois proxy services once and for all.

Why are you dragging us through the charade of pretending that you
actually care about allowing a highly limited number of registrants opt
out of publishing their data in the whois? The actual number of users
that would quality for the gracious special treatment is so limited as
to be meaningless, yet the costs of implementing your proposal are
borderline excessive.

Why not just make it easy on all of us and table a proposal that
essentially states that proxy services should be eliminated and all
registrants must publish all of their data in the whois?

I'd be happy to write it if it would help.

Failing a more direct and honest proposal, you might wish to include
another condition in this document that prevents registrars from
charging excessive fees for handling the meagre exceptions applications.
The quickest and most effective way to limit my liability and costs
under this proposal is to discourage everyone I can for applying for
exceptions.

-ross