ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-et]

Re: [gnso-et] Proposed Agenda for Council Special Meeting on 15 March

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-et] Proposed Agenda for Council Special Meeting on 15 March
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:08:12 +0100

On Mar 14, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Thanks for the response Bill.  Please see my comments and questions below.
>
> I assume that we have not yet heard from the RrSG?  Knowing there selection
> will greatly help us in simplifying our procedures and also help the ET in
> finishing its report and recommendations.  Should Caroline contact Tim?
>
> Chuck

Two polls.  It's like this:

1 Deferred

Eric Brunner-Williams

4 Allocated (would be nice if SG would announce, today's the deadline; anyway,
these are not voted and don't really need to be discussed unless folks want to)

Brian Cute, US, Afilias

Willie Currie, APC, SA

Olivier Muron, France, CSG

Warren Adelman (President CEO of Go Daddy) USA

2 Unaffiliated  [so this is a vote among two candidates, neither of whom seem
likely to get a majority of both houses]

Elaine Pruis, US, M&M

S. S. Kshatriya, India

5 Open  [a vote among 5; indicators on the ET call were that the three business
SGs support Bohannon and perhaps to a lesser exten Andruff.  NCSG will vote for
Rahman.   It will be close.  Again, if one of the leading CSG candidates wins,
there's is some question as to whether we are not then obligated to fire up the
diversity mechanism and try to negotiate a more balanced outcome.  If Rahman
won I suppose we could say ok no women but at least the five submitted would be
two US one France on South Africa one Bangladesh.   If nobody wins the
diversity point becomes moot since the language we adopted doesn't apply, then
we just submit the four allocated names.]

Mark Bohannon, Software & Info Industry Association, USA

Ron Andruff, TRAVEL, US

Mike O’Connor, BC, US, retired

Victoria McEvedy

Hakikur Rahman, Bangladesh, NCUC

> The only real wrinkle is that the diversity provisions we put in when we were
> assuming larger applicant pool that had to be sorted may or may not prove
> necessary.   Happily the language is flexible, so let's see.  Just one
> comment on your run down:
>
> In the bits on the two voted slots you say,
>
> "If there is not a simple majority of support in both houses for a candidate,
> then the GNSO will not endorse a candidate for this slot and will then only
> submit a slate of five candidates who are endorsed.  A second round of
> discussion and polling for each candidate will be done if needed."
>
> I presume you mean by this that if say slot 5 fails but slot 6 succeeds, or
> vice versa, there'd be five. [Gomes, Chuck]  Correct.  Of course, it is also
> possible that both slots fail to get simple majorities of both houses after
> two rounds, in which case we'd be submitted just the four allocated
> names.[Gomes, Chuck]   Correct. In the approach I described, I was trying to
> avoid this from happening because I thought it might be desirable to give the
> Selectors some choice by giving them more than four candidates.

Understand your point in principle, but see above concern in practice.  If the
5th is a white guy from the US, on top of Brian Warren, can we pretend that the
diversity mechanism can be avoided?