ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Marc Perkel - Statement of Interest

  • To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Marc Perkel - Statement of Interest
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:03:45 -0700

I hope i'm doing this right. I'm Marc Perkel, and individual and owner of a spam filtering company Junk Email Filter (http://www.junkemailfilter.com).

Junk Email Filter is a spam fighting company. We act as a front end filtering service with some email hosting. Mostly customers set their MX records to point to our servers. The email comes in to us - we filter it - and forward the good email on to the customer's existing email server. Our mission is to deliver all the good email and block as much spam as possible.

As an individual my background is software engineering. I am also a former employee (sys admin) of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) with a strong interest in civil liberties and individual freedom.

I am also the founder of the Church of Reality, a religion based on believing in everything that's real. We see the Internet as a significant step in the evolution of humanity and the most important advance in information sharing since the invention of the printing press.

I also have some background in law, all self taught.

I tend to look for solutions that impose the least restrictions and burden on the majority law abiding community who is using the Internet for legal productive purposes. I have some theories that part of the solution might lie in registrars providing more information about domains that spam filtering companies like us can use to help determine good email from spam. In the case of fast flux, if I could read the age of a domain and the number of recent changes to the nameserver record I can combine that with information from spam and determine what email to block. I could also public a DNS blacklist of fast fluxing domains that other spam blocking companies can use to block spam.

Additionally I would like to see DNS based contact information so I can turn an IP address into an abuse email address of who to contact to stop abuse at the source. That way if I've spotted a spambot I can send an automated message to someone who can fix the problem at the source.

I am currently tracking 1,624,019 virus infected computers who tried to send spam through our system in the last 5 days. If I had a way of sending automated abuse complaints to the right people I could shut down over 1.5 million spambots.

I believe that the war against the spam bot armies is something that is winnable and that is can be done without compromising the privacy and liberties of ordinary people. I am hoping that after some hard work and using good reasoning that we can come to a consensus on the right solution, implement it, and win. Quite frankly I would like to put myself out of business because the problem I am solving has gone away.