ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-geo-dg]

Re: [gnso-geo-dg] Principles for ICANN Region discussion

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-geo-dg] Principles for ICANN Region discussion
  • From: Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:35:31 -0400

Ken Stubbs wrote:

Philip's comment here regarding board selection is well taken.
We need to focus on this concern and hopefully, arrive at some sort of
"Non UN style" suggested solution.

There has to be a balance here but it needs more emphasis on "usage" and an acknowledgment for "potential users" as well as built in protections against "expansion bias" (look at usage in China 5 years ago).

We need to insure that incumbents cannot act in any discriminatory manner towards expanding geopolitical areas.

Philip Sheppard wrote:
Tim,
Indeed I agree completely.
The regions are a surrogate for diversity and a fig leaf for the Board.
They are also a potential Achilles heel for the Board if they have meant a
Board chosen for
geo-diversity primarily and competence second.

Philip