ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] motion for IDNG WG formation

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] motion for IDNG WG formation
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:40:08 -0400

At 07/06/2009 03:34 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

On 7 Jun 2009, at 20:16, Alan Greenberg wrote:

this kind of advice from the GNSO (unlike the output of formal
policy processes) tends to have the same impact as advice from ALAC
to the Board. It goes into a large black hole...

not so much unlke.

how else would someone explain that the DAG gets further and further
from the formal policy expression with every iteration?

but i digress.

a.

I actually think that it is a good thing that the implementation is evolving based on needs and reality and that the policy dictated by the GNSO several years ago is not locked in stone. But it is the process that is being used and how the decisions are being made that I strongly object to.

This is something that perhaps the PDP-WT should be addressing. For major policy directions like new gTLDs, how does the "final" PDP outcome evolve as needed without destroying the consensus-based process that created it.