ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] phone question

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] phone question
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 23:16:30 +0100

hi,

I got dropped again. decided to write since it was the end of the call.

Oh course it is possible, perhaps even likely, that I do not understand what
you and Chuck are so patiently trying to explain.  But when I read your stmts,
some of Chucks and Eric's, I see somewhat different approaches.  And I can
imagine various different ways to solve this issue.  That to me is complexity.

Getting someone to mandate one practice that will satisfy all, would also
require some complex work, work that could slow down the entire process.

I personally, again have not checked with the SG, do not see a problem with
focusing some work on this topic and finding a way to deal with it in objection
procedures or extended evaluation.  I personally would be against giving some
special application status to incumbents to apply for 'their IDN-names' by
allowing them to make an a-priori declaration that is is not CS because it is
mine and I will take care of it - trust me.

Again this is partially tied up the degree of Confusing Similarity. If CS is
just visual, then it is easier because almost none of these (except make the
Farsi/Arabic example and the CJK examples) will be visually CS.  But since the
Objection process is intended to allow people to argue for CS in terms of aural
or worse yet, meaning, as well as transliterations, I think it is a very
complex topic.  In fact it is so complex that even people who are relatively
intelligent and not completely ignorant (though some of us may be slow to
understand their coherent explanations) in the subject have trouble
communicating clearly.

a.