ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-idng] phone question

• To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] phone question
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:27:11 -0500

Avri Doria wrote:

... I personally would be against giving some special application status to ...

On the call you observed twice that in theory all things are equal. That interested me.

Please explain how ...

intentionally failing to distinguish between applicants which presently met all technical requirements, a more stringent existence, as well as security and stability test than mere possession of an iso3166-1 associated delegation into the IANA root, and those which have not met any technical requirements,

and

intentionally failing to distinguish between applicants which presently met all business requirements, a more stringent existence, as well as continuity test than mere possession of an iso3166-1 associated delegation into the IANA root, and those which have not met any business requirements,

and

intentionally failing to distinguish between applicants which seek to obtain one or more non-Latin Script equivalences to an existing Latin Script entry in the IANA root, exactly as the ccTLD IDN FT participants are seeking,

and

intentionally failing to distinguish between applicants which have existing non-Latin IDN registrants, and those which have no registrants,

and

intentionally failing to distinguish between applicants which have existing abusive registration policies and those which have no registrants,

and

intentionally failing to distinguish between applicants which have no substantial abusive registrations, and those which have substantial abusive registrations,

helps arrive at a "is not disadvantaged" position.

While I take the point you made later in the call that diversity is not met by allocating IDNs to existing registry contract holders, the converse, that no IDN shall be created until a diversity goal amongst contract holders, or more weakly, until a N+1 registry contract exists, where N is the number of current registry contracts (counting .post), places the utility of IDN below the utility of diversity of contract holders, or the utility of creating an N+1th contract.

Is this why we have IDNs? To force the N+1th contract? To force the first contract outside of North America and Europe? I don't think so.

Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy