ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] phone question

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] phone question
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:00:22 +0100

Hi,

wow, quite a rhetorical presentation.

On 3 Dec 2009, at 01:27, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> Avri Doria wrote:
>>
>> ... I personally would be against giving some special application status to
>

> On the call you observed twice that in theory all things are equal. That
> interested me.

I would have to check out the recording so see if I really said that 'in theory
all things are equal' .  Seems a nice platitude and I hope I did not argue for
it too loudly.

What i think i was arguing (or at least hope) was the same, was that the
concerns over adding new TLDS to the root was, or should be, the same for all
TLDS, ccTLDs, and new gTLDS whether they have internal champions or not.  And
that the other overriding concerns, like the one for the protection of IP
holders, and maybe even others, should be the same whether the TLDs were IDN or
not IDN.

I did admit that the constraints for a 'supported' style of TLD were different
then those for a general style of TLD.  But would argue that there was no
intent to give supported style preference in the process.  If the GNSO now
wishes to go back on its recommendations and give greater support to the
'supported' style of TLDs, then let it begin that process.  Yes, those who like
the supported model have been arguing for its superiority since the beginning,
and perhaps you were right, but that is not the policy that was recommended.
What I do argue is that supported vs general works the same whether IDN or LDH.

What I am saying is that all registries (new and existing) should have the same
chance at time 0 in the  application process.

I think all have to show they are technically competent - but all do not need
to show they have same high degree of competence Core has unless they want to
run an operations the size and scope of Core.

I think all have to show they have a viable business plan - but all do not need
to show they have same high degree of business capacity Core has unless they
want to run an operations the size and scope of Core.

i think all have to show they have a plan to fight malicious use - but all do
not need to show they have same plan Core has ....

I agree that it is useful to offer a hint to the reviewers that some applicant
is applying for several related TLDS, and asked whether this was not possible
in some "any extra information the evaluators should have' section of the
application.

I never said the obverse you are attribution to me:
- never said no existing until a diversity goal is met.
- never said incumbent can't apply until the new have been given a chance.

But rather did say, or mean to say, that all should have an equal chance to be
reviewed against the base level requirements for their application at the
beginning of the review process - and that no incumbent be given more of a leg
up then they already have by being experienced players in the game or by being
Northern institutions with all the advantages that brings.

I did not suggest an affirmative action plan to support registries from
disadvantaged areas or developing nations (at least not as part of this
discussion) - though I expect there are those who would in the GAC and in the
NCSG and do find it an interesting idea that perhaps should be explore -
especially if we are going to talk about opening up an earlier track for
special applicants.  Thank you for bringing it up.

What I also did not bring up, though perhaps should have, is the concern by
some in developing areas that the Geopolitical Northern registries were going
to grab all of the opportunities for good Southern IDNTLDS and colonialize the
IDN name space before the local populations had a chance to apply in a fair and
open process.  It is all well and good that we want to do the right thing for
the future IDN registrants, but some may be suspect of the pure benevolence of
our motives.  Why should the rich registries of the North have a chance to
apply for an IDN before the GAC's concern about fees that are prohibitive for
the South can be adequately responded to?

a.