ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 06:52:07 +0800

Hi Avri,

It is really quite simple:

IF you have "ella.com"

THEN you can have "ella.<COM_in_other_language_also_operated_by_Verisign>"

You do NOT get a translation of "ella" in ".com"

Based on your example:

> I have ella.com

> would i get ella.Hebrew_TLD-of-dotcom ===> YES

> would i have אלה.com ===> NO

> or is that אללה.com ===> NO

> or maybe even אלילה.com ===> NO

(unless of course you registered them separately)

Because I am not sure what ".com" would be in different languages, I will turn
back to my .asia example for the following explanation:

IF you have "ella.asia"

THEN you (and only you) can have
"ella.<Asia_in_other_language_also_operated_by_DotAsia>"

i.e.:

ella.亚洲 ===(Asia in Chinese)

ella.アジア ===(Asia in Japanese)

ella.아시아 ===(Asia in Korean)

ella.เอเซีย ===(Asia in Thai)

ella.एशिया ===(Asia in Hindi)

...etc.

IF you want "אלה.asia" it will be a different registration.  As you correctly
pointed out, it is non-unique if you try translations.  Also an important point
is that this is no different than what happens today, so there would be no user
confusion (or as chuck corrected to say user confusion would be minimized...
because it would provide a consistent experience)

Whether:

אלה.asia == אללה.asia == אלילה.asia

Is a matter of the IDN Language policy for Hebrew under .ASIA (which in fact we
are trying to develop right now for our launch and you are certainly welcome to
provide suggestions :-)) when ".ASIA" launches Hebrew registrations.  IF they
are to be considered the same by registration policies, it would be applied to
all <.ASIA_in_different_langauge_also_operated_by_DotAsia>.  That is what we
mean by offering the same string for registration only to the current
registrant.

Edmon

PS. I am not sure others did not get it... at least I think Stephane got it...
but I may be wrong...