ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:43:05 +0100

Hi,

I guess I see a few issues on these second level schemes, among them

1. There may still be confusion about what a user gets when using these names.
The registrant may be the same so they are probably not being phished, but
still there are many issues like what is the equivalent in another
language/script of most names. Several distinct names may have similar
translations.

2. There seem to be a large number of possible ways to handle the equivalences,
each with somewhat different behavior.  Do these need to be reviewed
individually to make sure they do not create more problems then they solve.

Also on the first level, I think we are still assuming the these similarities
is one of meaning, not visual or even aural.  Since ambiguity of meaning is a
vast issue as things rarely translate that directly, how is one to disambiguate
between the translations, for example, of .com and .biz, .  So by saying that
some names that may mean something close are the same as another and sometimes
they are different, is in itself confusing.

a.