ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:40:47 -0500

Please see my responses below.

Chuck

Chuck: That is true but that deals with the initial selection of string
and after that it is a matter of communication and education. Besides, I
don't believe that the new gTLD confusing similiarity restriction solves
the problem you are talking about anyway.  The point you make certainly
illustrates that it is very important for an existing gTLD operator to
do due diligence in selection its IDN strings so as to maximise
effectiveness and minimize confusion of the registrants in its
namespace.

> 2. There seem to be a large number of possible ways to handle
> the equivalences, each with somewhat different behavior.  Do
> these need to be reviewed individually to make sure they do
> not create more problems then they solve.

Chuck: Are you talking about equivalence at the second or top level?
Assuming you mean the second level, in the case of VeriSign's plan, we
are taking about exact at the second level. Otherwise we get into a
nearly possible situation where we have to make subjective judgements.
If a registrant wants to protect variations of its domain name, it will
be necessary to register each of the variations at least once in either
the LDH or IDN version of the TLD.