ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:14:00 +0800

Further comments below

Edmon: I think Avri you probably mistook the idea... I think what Chuck and
I were talking about is NOT about translation at the second level.  But
offering the same string to the same registrant under an IDN TLD.  More
specifically, for example, a registrant of "computer.asia" will be offered
"computer.???" (where "???" is "Asia" in Japanese), OR a registrant for
"???????.asia" (where "???????" means "Internet" in Japanese) will be
offered "???????.???".  There is no translation involved.

> > 2. There seem to be a large number of possible ways to handle
> > the equivalences, each with somewhat different behavior.  Do
> > these need to be reviewed individually to make sure they do
> > not create more problems then they solve.
>
> Chuck: Are you talking about equivalence at the second or top level?
> Assuming you mean the second level, in the case of VeriSign's plan, we
> are taking about exact at the second level. Otherwise we get into a
> nearly possible situation where we have to make subjective judgements.
> If a registrant wants to protect variations of its domain name, it will
> be necessary to register each of the variations at least once in either
> the LDH or IDN version of the TLD.

Edmon: Answer for #1 above probably clarifies this.  Again, there is no
translation involved.  Therefore equivalence is handled by having the same
string and not some semantic translation.

Edmon