ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:27:21 -0500

Edmon Chung wrote:

Edmon: I think Avri you probably mistook the idea... I think what Chuck and
I were talking about is NOT about translation at the second level.  But
offering the same string to the same registrant under an IDN TLD.

In the scenario I've in mind, and unlike Chuck I can't speak for the registry, only the operator, registrants having pre-validated and having used any string, Latin or other, for a SLD or subordinate registration, are also pre-validated for that, or any other string for which the pre-validation requirements are capable of being satisfied, in a non-Latin registry, with the same policy.

So the set:
name-in-ldh.tld-in-ldh,
name-in-idn.tld-in-ldh,
name-in-ldh.tld-in-idn, and
name-in-idn.tld-in-idn
all have a common registrant.

While it is true that translation et seq offers wiggle room, the formal names of the registrant in pick-a-script does not, and that is the basis for the registration in any script, independent of the script present in the tld string.

Eric