ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:50:27 +0100

On 15 Dec 2009, at 15:23, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> What in my rewrite assumes that translation is the primary cause for
> 'confusingly similar'?

the example of "duck soup" and "鸭汤" (yā tāng)  is a meaning based example
(assuming '鸭汤' refers to the same thing as 'duck soup' and not "fooled you with
a silly example")

as i expect are:

> .arab and an Arabic version of the same; 2) The DotAsia Registry would not be
> allowed to  offer a Chinese version of .asia;

since they could not be consider beneficially similar if they weren't also
considered confusingly similar, but the confusing similarity would then be
based on having the same meaning.

assuming that they are not simalar based on meaning would indicate that they
could be applied for without any problem.

this is omitting the fact that because they are geographical they have other
issues attached to them - the geographical  issues.

a.