ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:15:09 -0500

Chuck,

Avri first used the phrase "lowest common denominator" in this context. She gets the "probably didn't teach schools maths" prize.

I take your point that ease of measurement isn't the only possible standard, and it may be, as attractive as "objectivity" is, better, or even usable.

Seriously, if the sword thing were useful it wouldn't be telling us that "cym" and "com" are confusing, as that reduces to two consonants separated by a vowel, which isn't terribly useful, though wicked efficient and objective.

But what are we really bringing to the Council's broader membership?

First, that the probability of confusion rule still has areas of surprising (non)applicability, and second, the independence of applications, from each other and from any pre-existing registry assumption, results in incorrect outcomes, for which additional steps to correct are required.

The first shows up with IDNs, and the second shows up with IDNs and generally.

Eric