ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:33:47 +0100

Hi,

On 15 Dec 2009, at 22:01, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Avri,
>
> It is not an expansive definition of confusingly similar.  The GNSO
> recommendations, as I already pointed out many times, includes meaning as
> well as visual and other forms of possible similarity.  So why do you keep
> claiming that meaning is an expansion of the definition?

Because I believe it is an expansive definition.

As with you, I participated in entire new gTLD process and believe that we did
settle on visual confusing similarity as the primary type of confusing
similarity issue.  I have agreed, that in the objection procedure claims of
meaning may be used, but I believe these are secondary considerations and not
part of the base definition of confusingly similar but part of an expanded
definition that needs to be argued for materiality in the objection itself.

I agree that there may be ambiguity in the definitions we gave to Staff on this
but I believe they got it right in the first DAG when they referred only to
visual confusing similarity.  They have been expanding it ever since because of
public pressure from certain quarters and because some people keep claiming it
was meant to be included.  But I think that is not the case and I think having
people claim it is, does not make it so. I am, therefore, trying to present the
other side of the issue.  For better or worse, I felt my previous council role
prohibited me from speaking out on this, but now that I am no longer hamstrung
by vows of neutrality (which we all interpret differently) on any of the
issues, I feel it is important to call it like I see it.  I do not feel I can
let the presumption of meaning based similarity as a primary subject of
confusing similarity stand without objection.

Also, as I and others, have argued, the notions of definition, translation and
meaning as a criteria of confusing similarity are very problematic and highly
subjective, so I believe that including it as the basis of examples, is
dangerous as it brings up complicating issues that distract us from the core
issues.

a.