ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:04:39 -0400

On 14 Apr 2010, at 15:42, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> Let's avoid "synchronized domains" if we can.

but can we?
doesn't that become a topic if you allow the
non-contention-set-of-generally-similar-gTLDs.

that is the issue of confusing similarity.

e.g  ella.com and אלה.קם
how do we avoid confusion between them, assuming transliteration is part of the
confusing similarity definition and thus the
set-of-names-that-might-be-confusing-if-they-were-not-owned-by-the-same-registry,
 if they have different referents?

as i say, i am not looking for us to resolve or even discuss this here and now,
i am just mentioning that it may need to be considered if we do open up the
subject (kettle of fish?) of non-contention-set-of-generally-similar-gTLDs.

a.