ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] viability of the charter for this group

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] viability of the charter for this group
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:36:02 +0000

Now that I have read the exact motions that were passed in addition to the
previously posted communication, I am not as concerned as when I first heard of
the new gTLD Committee actions.  In my first reaction, the actions seemed to
undermine the GNSO policy efforts and possibly the GNSO itself, but I think
that was on overreaction.  It is true that that the actions were premature at
least in the case of the IOC/RC but maybe not regarding the IGOs because it is
not clear that the WG would have dealt with these quickly enough to recommend a
temporary moratorium.

Personally, I do not see anything in the motions that changes the tasks of our
working group. And as I have said before, the fact that temporary reservations
have been put in place if needed should not predispose any recommendations that
we decide to make.

Chuck