ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion
  • From: <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:59:32 -0500

I'm still troubled by the eliding/conflation of "abuse" of a domain
name by a third party and "harm" to the organization whose name is at
issue. The former usually, but does not always, lead to the latter.
Since ICANN is charged with coordinating the DNS, and a prior Working
Group (on domain name registration abuse) had worked out a definition of
what might constitute abusive registration (not use, which can slide
uncomfortably into content regulation) of a domain name, should we not
consider the question before us to simply be whether ICANN ought to
protect INGOs against abusive registration of domain names corresponding
to their names or acronyms?

In which case, evidence of harm *may* illustrate the need for such
protections but does *not* necessarily equate to a justification (or
not) one way or the other.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584