ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Fee waiver / reduction?

  • To: "GNSO IGO INGO (gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx)" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Fee waiver / reduction?
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 05:48:13 -0500

Hi,

This is a view of mine that goes far wider than this group.

I think that most of the exorbitant fees that ICANN and its myriad business
partners (aka dispute resolution organizations) charge for all the mechanisms
to do with domain names should be subsidized for all sorts of groups.  That is
why I poured so much blood sweat and tears into the Applicant Support program
etc..

And I think that many groups and companies have gotten wealthy beyond my
fondest dreams or imagination as part of the ICANN ecosystem.  So I have no
issue with IGO/INGO, charities, developing economy NGOs etc being subsidized in
their access to any and all ICANN mechanisms.  I understand the need for check
and balances in administering these programs and with admission control to the
benefits.  I was somewhat glib in saying let the GAC tell us who was worthy,
and would probably ultimately support a mechanism similar to the SARP (Support
Applicant review Panel) for admission control since I feel the GAC lists are
probably too restricted in terms of who deserves subsidy.  Then again, I think
the probability that we get agreement on subsidy is rather limited, and in this
case it is not a cause to which  I am going to devote a year or more of my life
- so the GAC lists are probably a good enough start.

avri