ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - Wednesday 11September 2013

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - Wednesday 11September 2013
  • From: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:20:09 -0700

 Dear All,

The next IGO-INGO Protections policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group
call is scheduled on Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 1600 UTC.

Please find the MP3 recording of the IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development
Process (PDP) Working Group teleconference held on Wednesday,11 September 2013
at 1600 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20130911-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#feb>sep

Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Griffin Barnett – IPC/IOC
Jim Bikoff – IPC/IOC
Elizabeth Finberg - RySG
Chuck Gomes – RySG
Alan Greenberg – ALAC
Ricardo Guilherme – RySG / UPU
Stephane Hankins – Red Cross Red Crescent
David Heasley – IPC/IOC
Judd Lauter – IOC/IOC
Osvaldo Novoa - ISPCP
Sam Paltridge – OECD
Christopher Rassi – Red Cross Red Crescent
Thomas Rickert – NCA –Working group chair
Greg Shatan – IPC
Claudia MacMaster Tamarit - ISO
Joanne Teng - WIPO
Berly Lelievre Acosta - WIPO

Apology:
Guilaine Fournet - IEC

ICANN Staff:
Berry Cobb
Mary Wong
Julia Charvolen

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Julia Charvolen
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript 11 September 2013:
 Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 11 Sept 2013 IGO-INGO conference call.
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello Berry, sorry I sent the document so late but the ISPCP
conferencen ended just over an hour ago.
  Berry Cobb:@Osvaldo, thank you.  I will incorporate into the master responses
document.
  Julia Charvolen:Sam Paltridge and Greg Shatan joined the call
  Julia Charvolen:Berly Lelievre-Acosta joined the meeting
  Berry Cobb:@Berly.  Thank you for pointing out my mistake in the draft final
document.
  Berly Acosta:No worries, Berry.
  Julia Charvolen:Christopher Rassi joined the call
  Julia Charvolen:Please mute your lines if you are not speaking
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I agree with Thomas' interpretation.
  Julia Charvolen:Alan Greenberg joined the call
  Alan Greenberg:On now.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):!
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):@
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):sorry, meant to type plus 1
  Julia Charvolen:Please mute your lines if you are not speaking
  Alan Greenberg:@Chuck +1
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Agree with Greg.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):We agree, which is why in our minority
statement we empasized protections for all IOs, under one set of criteria.
  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):I don't think it is fair to characteristize all of the
self-interested groups in our WG as only lobbying for their own interests.
  Judd Lauter:raising hand on behalf of Jim
  Greg Shatan:@Chuck: I didn't mean to say that (and I don't think that's what
I said).  I am happy to note that many who participated did so in full,
regardless of whether they showed up as an "interested party." -- both in our
meetings and in the consensus call.  i would just hope that all those who
participated would do so fully, right down to the consensus call.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Jim, ISO-IEC has also advocated for all
international organizations, from the beginning.  And we explicitly included
this in our minority statement.
  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):@ Greg - I didn't think you meant that Greg but wanted
to clarify that some of the self-interested groups have been very constructive
in ways beyond their interests.
  Greg Shatan:@Chuck -- agree 100%.
  Julia Charvolen:Please mute your mics
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Alan, that makes sense to me.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Is a divergence of view, opposition.  Or
simply neither support or opposition.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):If that's that case, INGOs receive only 2 do
not support.  So I don't really see this distinction.
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):point 4 is consensus
  Berly Acosta:Agree
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):as far as use of the TMCH is concerned, point 5 would
at the very least be "divergence"
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I have to agree with Alan.  Is the criteria
that more than 5 support is consensus or it is 1 or less do no support?
  Berly Acosta:There is no concensus on IGO point 5
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):once more: NO consensus on point 5
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):no, they did not
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):the GAC advice was clear about both names and acronyms
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):+1 Berly
  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):@ Berly - Thanks for clarification.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I'm not sure that the communique said that.
  Berry Cobb:Or more inline with the TMCH, Claims notification would have to be
permanent.  However, there is no support for permament claims notice.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):i. The GAC is interested to work with the
IGOs and the NGPC on a complementary cost-neutral mechanism that would:a.
provide notification to an IGO if a potential registrant seeks to register a
domain name matching the acronym of an IGO at the second level, giving the IGO
a reasonable opportunity to express concerns, if any; andb. allow for an
independent third party to review any such registration request, in the event
of a disagreement between an IGO and potential registrant.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):It says reasonable opportunity to express
concerns ... not to give consent.
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):Claudia, pls dont forget the preceding provision:
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):The GAC understands that the ICANN Board, further to
its previous assurances, is prepared to fully implement GAC advice; an
outstanding matter to be finalized is the practical and effective
implementation of the permanent preventative protection of IGO acronyms at the
second level.
  Berry Cobb:The latest Board resolution only is protection until the BA
meeting.
  Berry Cobb:for IGOs.  Full name and acronym per the list provided by the GAC
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):exactly
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):+1 Berly
  Berly Acosta:RIcardo +1, the CAG Advice should be read in full
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Ricardo, thank you.  I agree that practical
and effective is very important.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):And this should be understand in the light of
existing rights.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):There 6 supports for number 4 under INGOs.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):So I agree, that looks like consensus.
  Berly Acosta:"preventative protection of IGO acronyms at the second level" is
also important
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):what is the objective basis for giving registrars a
"higher" weight?
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Greg, does it?
  Alan Greenberg:We need an auditable bread-crumb trail in the process of
evaluating level of consensus.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I agree Alan.  That being said, we are really
behind Thomas on the general.
  Alan Greenberg:No question, but our results are going to be examined in great
detail, especially where we differ with either the interim Boarf position or
that of the GAC.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):And INGOS are some 3,000 by some accounts.
  Alan Greenberg:It is DEFINITELY not the count of members!
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I have come around to agree with you on that
point, Alan.
  Berry Cobb:I will remove them from the master copy.  Thank you Greg
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):We are certainly OK with that.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I strongly agree with Chuck!
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):Divergence means "no strong support for a particular
provision", many differences of opinion
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):it is not MINORITY
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):we have YES, we have NOs, we have "divergence of
views"
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):the multiplicity of views means "Divergence"
  Greg Shatan:Can't count IPC as support or opposition.
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):I know that, Thomas
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Thank you for clarifying that Greg,
divergence means neither support nor opposition.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Here the majority is opposition.
  Berly Acosta:Ricardo +1
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I support considering this a minority view.
Only IGO and PI support
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):Thomas, can I talk again?
  Greg Shatan:This type of "divergence" looks like Minority View to me, with
apologies to those who wish it were otherwise....
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I strongly agree with Greg.
  Alan Greenberg:Minority View - refers to a proposal where a small number of
people support the recommendation. This can happen in response to a Consensus,
Strong support but significant opposition, and No Consensus; or, it can happen
in cases where there is neither support nor opposition to a suggestion made by
a small number of individuals.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):But here is this a number of oppposing.  A
majority.
  Berly Acosta:Agree with that sttement, Thomas
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Put another way, if the recommendation was
NOT to block acronyms, we would have consensus.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):agree with Greg!!
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Yes, Alan.
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):exactly
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):formatting problem
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Alan!
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):We need to make it clear that only a minority
suport blocking acronyms, then.
  Greg Shatan:I'm not suggesting that "minority views" should not be expressed,
only that we can't adopt it a s a "level of support" by the group as a whole.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I strongly agree with you Greg.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Or we need to reword this recommendations to
state that acronyms should not be blocked.  And only a minority disagrees.
  Greg Shatan:SSbSO = "most of the group supports"
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):Dear All, I have to leave now - tks for your
contributions and great talking to you again. IGOs may have additional comments
ato convey by email s previously discussed.
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):"to convey by email as"
  Ricardo Guilherme (UPU):bye all
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Yes, thank you so much Thomas!
  Alan Greenberg:I have an ATRT meeting next week and so will not be attending
this WG, but I will try to get something in ahead of time.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Thank you so much Berry.
  Alan Greenberg:I think that one meeting to review public comments and amend
report is dreaming in technicolor.
  Chuck Gomes (Verisign):Thanks Thomas, Berry & all