ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] New task - Councilor Training

  • To: "Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <AAikman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] New task - Councilor Training
  • From: Mason Cole <mcole@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:30:22 +0100

All --

This is a good discussion and I appreciate seeing it expand.

As a new vice chair of the council I can attest to the fact that council
procedures are complex in places, but not too terribly hard to understand with
a bit of study.  I wouldn't object to an orientation for new councilors if we
believe that would be helpful to each other and the community; however, nor
would I say it's absolutely necessary.  It's a reasonable expectation for new
councilors to prepare themselves for their role.

With regard to motions: In general I agree that it should not be permissible to
re-introduce a motion already voted down, either the exact wording or something
substantially the same and designed to achieve the same outcome.  I don't know
that this needs to be enshrined in procedure -- in the vote we're all
referencing, I trust that Brian's situation was an honest error and not meant
to disrupt council business.  In cases such as this I'm not opposed to
re-entertaining a motion when it's clear the issue is a simple misunderstanding
and not an attempt to game the rules or beat into submission those who disagree
with the proponents.  I would hope councilors can discern between the two and
honor good intentions.

I don't believe in general that this has been a problem for the council.
Should it become one, I would agree with updating procedure in some manner, but
I don't think we're there (and hope we never get there).

Mason