ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] RE: For review - IRTP Part B Public Comment Announcement

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] RE: For review - IRTP Part B Public Comment Announcement
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:52:55 +0100

Marika

Thanks for reposting this

My main concern with ANY public comment period is that if the language is not
clear and accessible it's not "public".

It's very easy for the ICANN community to say that everything is public, but
language, jargon and overly complex syntax create barriers to participation
just as effectively as anything else

Language and its usage can put up barriers between end users who we are
supposedly trying to help and those of us who are in a position to evaluate
policies.

With that in mind ...

Could we add a small section towards the top of the document ie. so it's the
first bit that people read

Something along the lines of:

"We want to know if people are having problems with the current domain transfer
policies"

Yes - of course we're asking specific questions, but the first question points
someone to not one, but two external links.

What exactly is a GNSO Council?

What exactly is a GNSO consensus policy?

People on this list know, but a normal member of the public may find such
terminology in the first part of a document quite offputting. I'm not saying
that they shouldn't be there, however it would be helpful if there was a simple
explanation or equivalent explanation in either parentheses or in a sub-clause
(ie.between commas)

The other question that I feel has to be asked, why isn't the basic question /
request for comment available (even unofficially) in a language other than
English? Even if the GNSO officially communicates in English it is dealing with
issues that affect millions of non-English speakers.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon