ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Agenda for tomorrow's meeting

  • To: Chris Chaplow <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Agenda for tomorrow's meeting
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:13:15 -0500

<grin>  sheesh, how can i turn down a request like "come on Mikey"...

i spout so many words i can't remember where those were said, but you're right
Chris.  my understanding of our goal with ETRP is to rapidly return a hijacked
domain to it's prior state and then allow various dispute mechanisms the time
to figure out what is really going on.

i've attached a little picture that i drew (primarily for myself) which
attempts to describe the boundaries of the process, and also the dispute
mechanisms which surround it.  i view this rapid-return thingy as a protection
mechanism for registrants who've had their domains hijacked and *very
urgently** need to get the situation "put back to the way it was" while the
dispute is resolved.  walking through the process (at least the way i've
documented it) here are a few points that i'd like to highlight...

-- the process starts with the losing registrant realizing that their domain
has been spirited away.  it would seem to me that there's wiggle room in how
long this takes -- it seems like the person who's seen their online presence go
dark is going to realize this within minutes or hours, so maybe we should think
about dialing back on the length of time this option is available.  60 days
strikes me as too long, and also causes many of the issues that have arisen.

-- the losing registrar needs to review the situation and make sure that
there's really a problem for which the appropriate response is ETRP.  another
thought.  perhaps we can beef up the language that describes appropriate
applications of the process (mostly "hijacking" in my view) to make it clear
that clawing back a domain by a seller with second thoughts is NOT an
appropriate use of this process.  that would give registrars a good basis for
saying "no thanks" to the seller who's backing out of a deal.

-- in my view, the losing registrant has one more option available IF the
registrar doesn't accept the losing registrant's version of the dispute -- they
can escalate the problem to ICANN Compliance for a second opinion.

-- presuming all those hurdles are cleared, THEN the domain is rolled back to
its prior state.  it's not an automatic thing, humans need to look at the
situation and exercise their judgement before the rollback happens.  again, i
view this as a tool for the White Hats to stop a runaway domain before it gets
transferred so far away that nobody can recover it.

-- once the domain has been "put back the way it was" there are several layers
of dispute mechanisms (already available) to launch which can be used to get to
the bottom of the situation and sort out who's in the right.  a critical piece
of this is to give those existing dispute mechanisms time to gather facts and
work through the issues.

take a look at my little drawing...  that's what i'm basing all this stuff on...

mikey

On Jul 6, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Chris Chaplow wrote:

> Mikey was invited to re-state his wisdom twice in Brussels - Sunday and
> Wednesday.  Something on the lines of  "Return in haste and review in
> leisure"  so good I can not remember it and don’t have my notes with me.
>
> Come on Mikey......
>
> Chris Chaplow
> Managing Director
> Andalucía.com S.L.