ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Issue E

  • To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx List" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Issue E
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:16:14 -0500

hi all,

here's a series of paragraphs to kick off the Issue E discussion.

Denial Reason #7 (as currently writ)

A domain name was already in "lock status" provided that the Registrar provides
a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to
remove the lock status.

from the Initial Report

Prior to receipt of the transfer request, the domain name was locked pursuant
to the Registrar’s published security policy or at the direction of the
Registered Name Holder provided that the Registrar includes in its registration
agreement the terms and conditions upon which it locks domains and further that
the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the
Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status. If the Registrar does not
provide a means to allow a Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status
themselves, then Registrar must facilitate removing the lock within 5 calendar
days of receiving a request from the Registered Name Holder.

unpacked version of the Initial Report language (just a few punctuation marks
and carriage returns)

Prior to receipt of the transfer request, the domain name was locked:

-- pursuant to the Registrar’s published security policy or at the direction of
the Registered Name Holder,

-- provided that the Registrar includes in its registration agreement the terms
and conditions upon which it locks domains, and

-- further that the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable
means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.

If the Registrar does not provide a means to allow a Registered Name Holder to
remove the lock status themselves, then Registrar must facilitate removing the
lock within 5 calendar days of receiving a request from the Registered Name
Holder.

issues to puzzle through

-- should we limit this only to locks imposed by Registered Name Holders?
Michael Collins suggested this, but my recollection is that this policy is
really aimed at both registrant-initiated AND registrar-initiated locks.  so if
we want, we can explore moving the treatment of registrar-initiated locks to
Issue D, but i'll be grumpy about dropping it altogether.

-- how can we address Paul's point that overly-detailed "published security
policies" provide a roadmap to the criminals?  my take is that this can be
finessed by leaving the language as it's written -- which leaves Registrars a
fair amount of latitude as to how detailed they make those published security
policies.

-- is the 5-day interval the right one?  i don't have strong feelings about
this -- but again, this might be made less complicated if we split the
treatment of registrar-initiated and registrant-initiated locks.

there's my first pass.

have at it, peepul

mikey

phone   651-647-6109