ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] action item from the last call -- defining consequences

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] action item from the last call -- defining consequences
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:27:27 -0400

I do not see the kinds of non-compliance penalties suggested by the RySG
or others (see Public Comment Review Tool items #22-26) in any of the
current Consensus Policies.

In fact, the community has been grappling for years with an "escalation
path" for registrar non-compliance with the RAA and/or Consensus
Policies.  While some additional Compliance tools - short of the
"nuclear option" of revoking a registrar's accreditation - were added in
the 2009 RAA, there has been no agreement on any series of steps (to
include monetary fines).

In my opinion, it is not appropriate to introduce such unparalleled
measures via a process like the IRTP, especially for non-compliance with
something new and untested like the EAC.

I'm in agreement with Michele: let's keep it simple.  If the WG needs
ideas, let's reach out now and involve ICANN Compliance.  We also should
get the Registrar Liaison to weigh in.

Honestly, the most effective remediation likely will be the bully pulpit
of the Liaison and Compliance staffs contacting a recalcitrant registrar
and reminding them of their Consensus Policy obligations.  If a
registrar ignores such direct reminders, Compliance can threaten a
breach letter.  Realistically, few registrars will let things go that
far and risk losing their accreditation.  Those that do probably
shouldn't be in the registration business anyway...

Regards, P