ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpd]

Re: [gnso-irtpd] here's the little summary of that sequence of events i rattled off on the call just now -- registrant role in TDRP

  • To: "Dorrain, Kristine" <kdorrain@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Volker Greimann'" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpd] here's the little summary of that sequence of events i rattled off on the call just now -- registrant role in TDRP
  • From: "Kevin Erdman" <krerdman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:57:51 -0500

I disagree.  The UDRP is designed to correct misbehavior of a valid domain name
owner relating to that owner’s use of a domain name, namely that the use of a
domain infringes the rights of a trademark owner.  The basis of the complaint
is not that the domain name owner did not validly register the domain, but
rather that the use of the domain is a trademark violation.  The facts and
circumstances of the ownership of trademark rights and the trademark
infringement are outside of the knowledge of the registrars and registries.
The UDRP procedures are designed to get the facts in front of the dispute
resolution panel to provide the trademark owner with a remedy to trademark
infringement that may be difficult or impossible to obtain judicially.

The TDRP is about correcting a bad domain transfer, and the circumstances of
the transfer are mostly known to the registrars and registries, but there might
be some oversight that a registrar or a registrant would want corrected.  I
think we should focus on where the TDRP leaves a registrant or a registrar
without a remedy, and only provide more procedures for scenarios where a remedy
is not currently available.
Kevin R Erdman
Reichel IP LLP
212 West 10th Street, Suite D-280