ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] RE: For immediate review - updated definition of locking

  • To: "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] RE: For immediate review - updated definition of locking
  • From: "Schneller, Matt" <Matt.Schneller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 15:29:17 +0000

Sorry to miss the call this morning without prior notice.

I don't know that I care a lot about the definition either way, but I thought
we had adopted the former definition to maintain the broadest possible range of
registrar discretion.  Under the former definition, it's up to the registrar
(and the registrar's contract terms with their clients) to determine whether or
not they do anything (or even can do anything) that would impair the domain
name's resolving.  Since our initial registrar survey indicated that some
registrars do disable the domain from resolving to a live website, the latter
definition might override pre-existing registrar contract terms or practice.
So long as the minimum baseline of lock (no changes of registrar or registrant)
are met, I don't know that it's of concern to anyone other than the registrar
and registrant what else that registrar does or doesn't do.

Matt