ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] Re: For immediate review - updated definition of locking

  • To: "Schneller, Matt" <Matt.Schneller@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] Re: For immediate review - updated definition of locking
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:39:30 -0700

Matt, we do note in the report that:
'The Working Group discussed that one of the areas where additional
safeguards might be appropriate is in relation to the registrant¹s control
of the name server. It was noted that there are cases known in which the
registrar moves the domain name subject to UDRP Proceedings to a different
account, which means the registrant does not have any control anymore over
its domain name registration. It was pointed out that changes to the DNS are
not considered Œtransfers¹ as defined in the UDRP and any changes to the DNS
would therefore not need to be prevented. The Working Group suggested that
clarifying that changes to the DNS are allowed, may ensure sufficient
safeguards as per the charter question'.
However, if you feel that adding this language warrants further discussion,
we can leave it out for now and discuss it in further detail as part of the
deliberations on the Final Report. Let me know what you prefer.
Best regards,
Marika