ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] ACTION ITEM: Task 1, Subtask 4: Draft Tool Kit Recommendations

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Julie Hedlund" <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-osc-csg" <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] ACTION ITEM: Task 1, Subtask 4: Draft Tool Kit Recommendations
  • From: "Victoria McEvedy" <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:24:44 +0100

Further to the points of procedure, these are my substantive comments to
the 1.4 draft.

1.The BGC Report contemplates that the purpose of the ToolKit should
include assistance with Standardization (at p. 44) and outreach (same)
and also to make Constituency documents more broadly accessible to the
global community (same) (emphasis added). That is, it should provide for
the funding of our other recommendations -particularly as to the common
rules on participation and operating procedures--once the implementation
proposals had been agreed by this group. That is the Toolkit is the
means to fund our recommended improvements.  In these circumstances, it
is clearly premature to agree the funding before the improvements are
agreed.

2. For example, there has been opposition to the proposed operational
requirement that Constituencies and Interested Parties must post minutes
within either 24 or 72 hours or one week on the basis that this would be
too onerous -while at the same time the Toolkit contemplates that Staff
would be able to relieve this burden from Constituencies and Interested
Parties and expressly agrees funds for the posting and preparation of
minutes. Similarly as to the arrangements for MP3 recordings of
meetings--- no party has expressed any support for Constituencies or
Interested Parties to have to post recordings of meetings so it is
surprising to find this in the Toolkit.

3. The BGC Report makes no reference to the ToolKit being applicable to
Stakeholder Groups. It refers to Constituencies -and while we must
extend it to their counterpart in the Contracted Houses-Interested
Parties, the draft makes the bare statement that the ToolKit should
apply to GNSO Organizational Groups. No case is made for the need for
these resources to apply at Stakeholder Groups level. What is the basis
for this recommendation? Further the report contemplates its extension
to other eligible groups ---but gives no information on who they might
be? Who are these other eligible groups?

Agreeing the funds for the action -without agreement on the action,
surely places the cart before the proverbial horse.

Regards,

Victoria McEvedy

Principal

McEvedys

Solicitors and Attorneys

cid:669FC637-760A-4D2F-B56E-2C180C1870CC

96 Westbourne Park Road

London

W2 5PL

T:    +44 (0) 207 243 6122

F:    +44 (0) 207 022 1721

M:   +44 (0) 7990 625 169

www.mcevedy.eu

Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority #465972

This email and its attachments are confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s).  This email and its attachments may
also be legally privileged. If you have received this in error, please
let us know by reply immediately and destroy the email and its
attachments without reading, copying or forwarding the contents.

This email does not create a solicitor-client relationship and no
retainer is created by this email communication.