ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call

  • To: "'gnso-osc-ops'" <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: Potential Agenda Items For This Week's GCOT Call
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:51:33 -0400

Dear all,

A discussion that brings about more consideration of issues, investigates
alternative solutions or further complicates issues with other issues is a
healthy thing in a WT, so with respect, Chair, I would not be too quick to
throw cold water on a friendly debate that is growing in intensity.
Ultimately, the fresh perspectives are what we need to get at to find the
solutions to the issues the OSC sent back to us.

I'd like to respond to several posts by various colleagues on this thread in
more general terms so forgive me if I do not address various questions
directly.

The mandate of this WT is to review, amend and develop policy
recommendations for the RoP under a new GNSO structure (houses).  Therefore,
I do not believe that we are trying to find solutions to non-existent
problems as Eric has posited; rather we are reviewing all elements of a new
proposed procedure to ensure that transparency and usability are addressed
in equal measure.  As such, the idea that all participants --whether staff
in a supporting role or volunteers from the community -- fill out a
Statement of Interest for the sole purpose of institutional transparency
makes more sense than granting an exclusion to those that, indeed, hold the
pen, irrespective of their ICANN contractual obligations and limitations, in
my view.  But, that said, I am open to arguments to the contrary.  The
driver here is 'building the institution'.  What will do that, is the
question I ask myself?

In like manner, Eric argues a good point, i.e., every GNSO, working group,
work team or staff member should have the right to submit their SOI in their
primary language.  This will be a critical component if ICANN is to move to
a more mature state.  We already operate in the UN6, so we should make an
aspirational recommendation that SOIs be able to move in that direction too.
Aspirational in the sense that we start with English due to the resource
concerns our Chair has raised several times; then we move to UN6 as
resources are made available; and finally in all languages, say by the end
of ICANN's second decade of existence.  This just seems logical and
appropriate to me.

But for now, we need to focus on the basic issues of 'who' needs to fill in
an English written SOI (for all of the reasons noted) and how to implement
the practice of requesting DOIs prior to each meeting.

With regard to the latter point of DOIs, I truly believe that our WT's
intention was that in practice the exercise would be done as we experienced
on our last call, i.e., the Chair asked if any WT member would like to make
a DOI.  When none of us spoke up, he confirmed for the record that no DOI's
were made and the meeting moved on.  The DOI component of our meeting lasted
less than 60 seconds.  In my view, we simply need to make this clarification
to the OSC and GNSO Chair and make any necessary modifications from a
resolution POV to ensure that it is properly enshrined in the RoP.  End of
story.

Sorry to all for the long post, but I attempted to bring all of the threads
that have begun since Wednesday's call into one collective to get us all on
the same page.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff