ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] SOI/DOI and OSC

  • To: "'Ron Andruff'" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'gnso-osc-ops'" <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] SOI/DOI and OSC
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:40:12 -0400

My thinking might be a little different that I want to share, open to
thoughts and feedback.  If ICANN staff are stating to us that all employees
are bound to represent the interests of the organization in all matters, and
we accept this is the case, then we would also be accepting their rights and
ability to legally enforce in an employer-employee relationship.  For
example, if I own stock in a relevant company and an action I take appears
to represent my stock investment rather than my employer's interests, my
employer has the right and ability to take different forms of action of
reprimand, including terminating my employment.  It is these type of what-if
scenarios that make it very important that ICANN staff is able to affirm for
us that all employees under all circumstances must represent the interests
of the organization because this confirms they have the enforcement rights
as the employer to take action, thus alleviating the need for us to craft
out various what-if scenario's.  Every what-if scenario is covered and if
every what-if scenario is covered, then becomes a basis for us to say why
staff completing an SOI per the Rules would in fact be redundant.

Ray